Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Another Allerton Steam Pumper Update from Ken Foran with MORE PICTURES!

Ken Foran, designer of the Model Trailways Western Mountain Buckboard Wagon, sent
us an update on his progress of the Allerton Steam Pumper - awesome work Ken! Ken has taken a few weeks off to visit a new new granddaughter, but he'll be back in the saddle soon enough! Until then, enjoy the pictures!

Ken's notes: I have made some great progress since the last update. Here you can see the final large expansion tank mount finished to the final shape. Just a great deal of hand filing and fussing and then the addition of the seat support bracket to it.

Also once the mount and bracket were finished I could then go back and finish up the third seat support bracket as well. I then sanded and smoothed the large expansion tank and spray painted it with the Krylon Copper Foil paint that I mentioned in an earlier update. This paint is the closest I have found to simulate the polished copper finish. In the picture the tank has only one coat over the primer; it will only get better once wet sanded and hit again. This paint may also work on the brass parts as well I have some Gold Foil but have not tested it yet.

I received the chain and it worked perfectly as you can see in the pictures. The chain limits the travel of the front axle so the wheels do not hit the flywheel pump arms or braces; but also limited the turning radius in tight spots. I have started the braking system which really is more of a parking brake than stopping a team of horses. Just quite a few linkage parts so I will be back on the CAD system for awhile sorting it out.









1 comment:

  1. That is great work and a great finish on that copper tank! That "Krylon paint," if you don't mind my asking, is that just the basic spray can paint like you get from wall marts" or do you get some other type and mix and airbrush it?
    I built a Civil War Limber and the limber chests had copper sheeting applied to the lids to shed sparks in action. I could not find any paint that looked correct and finally got some peel and stick copper hobby foil and that worked just great. It happened to come out just right, for my purposes anyway. It is nothing like the polished finish you are achieving but then, it was an entirely different finish matter. Mine is just copper sheeting on a chest lid and not a polished tank. Your finish would look all wrong on my vehicle. They posted pics of mine elsewhere on here. Remember, it will be much rougher looking than your carefully tended machine. (That would have been any fireman's 'baby'!) The painted surfaces on my gun and attendant vehicles was roughly mixed and applied by the crews with whatever was at hand and as a veteran I well know how such paint jobs look when finished.
    Thanks again for sharing your progress!
    Jim (on my wife's acct.)

    ReplyDelete